Tuesday 21 July 2020

Return of the Gulls!

After my visit to Frampton Marsh yesterday, I decided to stop off at Rufford CP on my way home. I was hoping to see if any of last winter's ringed gulls were back, and ...... I was very pleased to see 2 returning birds!

There were about 70 Black-headed Gulls present and the first ringed bird I saw was EUM3, a 3 year old, Dutch-ringed gull that I first saw here on 3rd February 2019 (see here), and on pretty much every visit last winter - a very site faithful bird!! As you can see, it still has a near full brown hood.

EUM3

The second ringed bird was 230A, a bird ringed, as an adult, at Center Parcs, approximately 2km away, in February 2019 by Birklands RG and Sorby Breck RG. My first sighting of this bird was in September 2019 (see here), and, again, Rufford appears to be a regular wintering site, with sightings through to March 2020. Unfortunately, there haven't been any records from its breeding grounds....yet.

230A

Out of the c.70 Black-headed Gulls present there were 10 juveniles, in varying degrees of moult. This bird was the least advanced, showing just a few adult feathers.

Black-headed Gull (juvenile)


As well as the Black-headed Gulls, there was also one Lesser Black-backed Gull present, which  I think is a 3rd winter bird (born in 2017?) - please let me know if it's not!


Lesser Black-backed Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment