Tuesday 21 July 2020

Caspian Tern!

I spent a few hours at RSPB Frampton Marsh yesterday, primarily to see a Caspian Tern that has been present for a few days. I've seen this species once before, in Spain, but this was my first encounter in Britain!

My first sighting was on the main reedbed, viewed from the path to Reedbed Hide, and was quite distant. I did, however, manage to get a record shot.

Caspian Tern

Later during the visit, I got another view, as the bird flew straight over my head! Along with the tern, there were also lots of other species about, and, by the end of my visit, I'd notched up a stunning 14 "year ticks", including a juvenile Black-necked Grebe. In addition to the tern and the year ticks, there were also 14 Spoonbills present.

Spoonbills

It was quite windy whilst I was there, but I did manage to see a new dragonfly species, a Ruddy Darter.

Ruddy Dater


Year List update:
 139 – Caspian Tern
140 – Shelduck
141 – Dunlin
142 – Common Sandpiper
143 – Black-tailed Godwit
144 – Bar-tailed Godwit
145 – Avocet
146 – Spotted Redshank
147 – Ruff
148 – Yellow Wagtail
149 – Black-necked Grebe
150 – Little Egret
151 – Ringed Plover
152 – Knot

No comments:

Post a Comment