Friday 15 May 2020

Garden Moths - An Update

I first blogged about my garden moths a few weeks ago (see here). Since then, I've had the trap out  another 5 times, and have increased the garden list for 2020 to 23 species. Nothing rare yet (as expected), but the following species have been recorded (alphabetical order): Bee Moth, Brindled Pug, Brown House-moth, Common Marbled Carpet, Common Plume, Common Pug, Common Quaker, Double Striped Pug, Early Grey, Flame Shoulder, Garden Carpet, Grey Pine Carpet, Heart and Dart, Light Brown Apple Moth, Pale Tussock, Pine Beauty, Purple Thorn, Scalloped Hazel, Small Quaker, StreamerTachystola acroxantha, Waved Umber and White-shouldered House-moth! In addition to these species, I also identified a moth that I photographed in Warkworth, Northumberland, last May, as a Common Swift.

Here are a few photos of the more photogenic species!!

Early Grey

Pale Tussock

Streamer

The weather is set to be warmer over the weekend again, so I'll have the trap out, and hopefully add a few more species to the "garden list". Hawkmoth species perhaps??

2 comments:

  1. Any chance you could show what your moth trap looks like please? I've tried making my own without much success so any tips/advice would be welcome.
    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. The trap I use is one from Butterfly Conservation, see link, https://www.nhbs.com/nhbs-moth-trap?bkfno=249100 I usually put it out at dusk and leave it running until dawn. It's worth checking in and around the trap, as many moths will perch on walls and vegetation around the trap, without going in. 2 very good field guides to id any moths caught are also necessary, see here https://www.nhbs.com/field-guide-to-the-moths-of-great-britain-and-ireland-book?bkfno=243658&ca_id=1495&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9dOeUQBJgixYvwe-AGUhltmg_AQtizuOQAqr1FCLPFN6jjzloyEmDxoC0bYQAvD_BwE Good luck

      Delete