Friday 17 April 2020

Garden Moths 2020 - First Results

It's been nearly a month since I last posted anything here, so apologies for that. As you can imagine, I haven't been down to Linacre since the "lockdown" began, but that doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying everything nature has on offer from my house, garden and surrounding area.

One thing I have been doing, is getting my moth trap out, and seeing what's around in the garden. So far the answer is.... not much!! I have, however, had 3 sessions with the trap and have recorded 7 species of moth. The most numerous so far is Common Quaker, with 7 individuals caught, followed by Small Quaker (5) and 5 other species; 20-Plume Moth, Purple Thorn, White-shouldered House Moth, Double-striped Pug and Pine Beauty ( all with just 1 individual each).

Common Quaker

Small Quaker

Pine Beauty

I'll keep going with the trap over the next few months, and hopefully, the number of species will begin to pick up! In the mean time, If you click of the label Garden Moths, you'll be able to see some pictures from a few years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment