Saturday 30 May 2020

Linacre Insects - 30th May 2020

I was down at Linacre this morning, checking the nestboxes and ringing some of this year's pulli (more on that in a future blog). With the temperature being around 19 degrees whilst there, I also managed to get some good insect records, including a new species for me at Linacre.

Insects seen today were: Large Red Damselfly (1 male), Common Blue Damselfly (c5 males), Blue -tailed Damselfly (1 male, the first Linacre record of 2020), Broad-bodied Chaser (1 female, my first Linacre record since 2014!), Swollen-thighed Beetle, Red and Black Froghopper, Cinnabar Moth (1), Silver Y moth (1), Silver-ground Moth (1), a long-horned moth, Nemophora degeerella, bees including Tree, Red-tailed and Common Carder,  and a couple of yet-to-be identified micro moths.

Broad-bodied Chaser

The new species was Britain's largest species of Crane fly, Tipula maxima. It was very big indeed! Apparently, it can have a leg span of up to 100mm.

Tipula maxima

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen a Garganey at Linacre recently? I saw a smallish female duck at the top end of the middle reservoir, which had 15 ducklings that were feeding by up-ending to catch midges flying above, and a look at my RSPB book led me to think it might be a Garganey.

    I'm a complete novice at this, so it's just a guess really. All I know is that it wasn't a Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. No, I've never recorded Garganey at Linacre. The bird you saw was possibly a female Mandarin Duck, which is an annual breeder at Linacre. They also have quite large broods. Thanks for your record.

    ReplyDelete