Tuesday 19 May 2020

Linacre Nestboxes, Birds and Insects

I was able to get down to Linacre on Saturday to check the nestboxes for the first time this season. I walked around all three reservoirs and checked 87 boxes. In total, I found 37 boxes with active nests in them; 33 were either Blue or Great Tits, but there were also 2 Pied Flycatcher nests, 1 Wren nest and 1 Nuthatch nest. There were also 3 singing Pied Flycatchers, which is the highest count I've had, since the first ones were recorded in 2008. All nests are being monitored for the BTO's Nest Record Scheme.

Whilst on site, I also had a look for any insects that were active. I didn't see any butterflies, but I did spot this adult Cinnabar Moth that was emerging on a fence and a Scorpion Fly.

Cinnabar Moth

I also managed to see the first ducklings of the year. There were two broods of Mandarin Duck, 7 and 4, and one brood of Mallard with 3 ducklings.

The best sighting, however, was my first ever sighting of a Grass Snake. I spotted one basking on a stone wall by the bottom reservoir. Unfortunately, I only managed a quick photo before it slid off, into the wall. I did, however, manage to spot a "sloughed" skin in the same spot.

Spot the snake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment