Thursday 15 August 2019

Black-headed Gull EA32375 in Bakewell

Yesterday, Luke and I went across to Bakewell to see if we could find any ringed Black-headed Gulls. There were only about 20 gulls there, but we soon spotted one wearing a metal ring. We began to feed it with some bread, and within 20 minutes or so we'd managed to photograph and read the ring number, EA32375. We also spotted London on the ring, showing it was a British-ringed bird. Details were sent off to the BTO, and I'll update the blog when I hear back.

EA32375

Whilst there, we also spotted the colour-ringed Canada Goose AAAH, a female bird, first seen here on 10th February 2018, and again on 15th July 2019, after being ringed in Bowness on Windermere in 2nd July 2013.

AAH

UPDATE: Details from the BTO show that EA32375 was ringed, as a chick, by Merseyside Ringing Group at Shotton, Flintshire on 26th June 2019, a distance of 91km away. Our sighting was the first since ringing.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Peter I hope you are well and are enjoying being back at school? I’m organising a little surprise gathering for Dan on the 20th of this month if you’d like to come? It’s all us faithful ringing group. If you could let me know either way my main email is nikkysherrard201@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikky. Good to hear from you. I've tried to reply to you via your email address, but it's bounced back twice! Can you email me details via my google email (see top of blog). Hopefully, I'll be able to get along.

    ReplyDelete