Sunday 7 April 2019

Lesser Whitethroat "blythi" - 3rd February 2019

Back in February (3rd), I had my first garden ringing session on 2019. I had the 20ft net up by the feeding station and caught just 8 birds including 2 Blackbirds, 2 Goldfinches, 1 Bullfinch and 2 Long-tailed Tits (first for the garden).

The highlight of the morning, however, was the very last bird, which turned out to be a LESSER WHITETHROAT!! I've only ringed 1 previously, so I was very excited to see this species in the net, but, given the time of year, I was even more surprised to see it, and my first thoughts were.... is this an "eastern" type bird?

Lesser Whitethroat "blythi"

The first thing I noticed once in the hand was the small size, and the 2 prominent outer tail feathers. The tail feathers, in particular, looked interesting, so I quickly "processed" the bird (put a ring on, aged it as a 5, based on 1 retained greater covert, and a tail with 2 generations of feathers, and measured the wing, 63mm), before phoning a more experienced ringer to get some advice. Numerous photos were also taken showing the wing, tail and body.

Lesser Whitethroat tail

I was advised to retain any feathers lost during ringing, for DNA analysis. These feathers were subsequently sent to Aberdeen University, where said DNA analysis was carried out, confirming the bird as an "eastern" Lesser Whitethroat, subspecies blythi!!!!!!!!!

This is the first confirmed record of this subspecies in Derbyshire. There have been 2 previous "possibles" 1 in 1998 (a bird seen at feeders in November and December), and a bird seen in a garden in Eggington from December 2013 to March 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment