Sunday 10 January 2016

Mancunian Great Northern Diver

Jayne had an appointment in Stockport today, so I had  a few hours to spare. Checking the Bird Guides website, I noticed there was a juvenile Great Northern Diver at Salford Quays, which was described as "showing well", so I popped across to have a look and "tick" it for the "year list".

Great Northern Diver

When I arrived, it was indeed "showing well", down to about 10m at times, and I was able to get quite a few shots, including the one above. It's my best ever view of this species, and looked quite out of place in the middle of the city! Here's one more shot, showing the bird next to the ski jump that's on the quay.

Great Northern Diver in Salford!

Other birds seen in the area were: Canada Goose (year tick), Moorhen (1), Coot (2), Mute SwanPied Wagtail (2), Feral Pigeon, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull and this beautiful juvenile Cormorant ( 1 of 4 present).

Cormorant

Year List update:
79 – Great Northern Diver
80 – Canada Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment