Saturday 2 January 2016

Linacre Shags still there.

After starting the year in Northumberland, I was able to get down to Linacre this morning for my first visit of 2016. Whilst there I added 13 new "year ticks", and  was very pleased to see that the 3 juvenile Shags from last year were still around, swimming and fishing on the middle reservoir. It'll be interesting to see just how long they stay.

The first bird recorded at Linacre turned out to be a singing Robin in the bottom car park, followed closely by a Tawny Owl and a singing Song Thrush - my earliest ever record at Linacre. Unfortunately it was quite drizzly this morning, so I didn't manage to see all the woodland birds I would normally expect. I did, however, see or hear: Dunnock, Goldcrest, SiskinJackdaw, Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Wren, Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed Tit.

Out on the water, along with the Shags, I also recorded: Mallard (65), Moorhen (9), Coot (4), Tufted Duck (20), Mandarin Duck (11), Kingfisher (1 heard on middle reservoir), Grey Wagtail (1) and Black-headed Gull (36).

Year List update:
60 – Tawny Owl
61 – Song Thrush
62 - Moorhen
63 – Goldcrest
64 – Siskin
65 – Tufted Duck
66 – Blue Tit
67 – Great Tit
68 – Coal Tit
69 – Long-tailed Tit
70 – Mandarin Duck
71 – Kingfisher
72 – Grey Wagtail

When I got home, I looked in the garden and saw 3 Lesser Redpolls on the feeders, another great "year tick".

73 – Lesser Redpoll

No comments:

Post a Comment