Saturday 7 September 2013

Birds, Butterflies and Autumn Berries

The weather forecast for this morning was not good, so I stayed in bed and then had a walk around Linacre this afternoon. I was hoping to repeat my success with the butterflies, but as I arrived, the sky turned grey and it began to rain, so the number and range of species was lower than hoped for.

First up was a Speckled Wood, followed by a single Peacock, 1 Large White, 1 Small Copper and 1 Small Tortoiseshell.

Small Tortoiseshell (from my garden)

As well as the butterflies I also managed to spot the Kingfisher again, flying around the middle reservoir, along with 7 House Martins, 1 Swallow, 5 Little Grebes (2 adults and 3 juveniles), 5 Mandarin Ducks, 4 Cormorants (the highest count since last winter) and the usual Mallards, Coots, Moorhens, Tufted Ducks and Canada Goose.

Autumnal berries are beginning to show nicely, so I took a few photos.

Blackberries and Woody Nightshade

Rowan berries

No comments:

Post a Comment