Saturday 6 April 2013

100th species of the year

In my last post I mentioned that Chiffchaff was the 99th species I'd seen this year and speculated about which would be 100th. My guess was another spring migrant, but this morning, whilst out ringing, I saw and heard a Red-legged Partridge in a neighbouring field, making this my 100th species this year!

Apart from the new bird, this morning's ringing was, to be polite, quite slow. Over a four hour period we managed just 12 birds. My totals were (new/retrap): Blackbird 1/0, House Sparrow 0/1 (my first of the year), Long-tailed Tit 0/1 and Dunnock 0/1. We also caught a beautiful adult male Greenfinch, which was very nice. Unfortunately I forgot my camera today, so no photos!

Anyway, as they say, we had a lot of time to study the birds we caught and also to enjoy the good company and look at the resident species that were getting ready to breed. In particular, a pair of Mistle Thrushes, which seemed very keen on an ivy-covered tree, with 1 bird, presumably the male, standing guard. Other birds recorded, but not ringed, were Collared Dove, Canada Goose (2 flew overhead), Sparrowhawk and Woodpigeon. A Red Fox was also seen running though the garden on one net round.

Year List:
100 - Red-legged Partridge

No comments:

Post a Comment