Saturday 30 March 2013

Still no migrants

I spent a couple of hours at Linacre yesterday morning and, despite much searching, I failed to locate any summer migrants - again!  I wasn't too surprised though given the temperature -2 degrees and the amount of snow that was still present.

Snow!
 
 
The normal waterbirds were present in good numbers: Mallard (35), Tufted Duck (12), Coot (8), Mandarin (3 pairs), Moorhen (5), Cormorant (1), Grey Wagtail (2), and a count of 73 Black-headed Gulls was the second highest so far this winter. A pair of Great-crested Grebes on the middle reservoir, bodes well for breeding again.
 
Black-headed Gulls
 
In the woods most of the resident species were singing, despite the cold, and the Little Owl was in its normal tree as I drove out. I also managed to hear Great-spotted Woodpecker drumming and Green Woodpecker "yaffling".

No comments:

Post a Comment