Saturday 23 March 2013

Return of the snow!

Last weekend I was walking around Linacre hoping to see my first summer migrants. This weekend I'm sitting at home looking at a very snowy garden! Here's the view from my living room this afternoon.

Snowy garden
 
The blob in the top left hand corner is the pond that has/had 4 big masses of frogspawn in ealier this week.

Suffice to say I didn't get out ringing or birding today, but instead spent most of the day watching the feeders. In the end, I managed to see some interesting birds including "Mr White"(see here if you haven't read about this bird before), a couple of stunning breeding plumaged Lesser Redpoll, 20+ Goldfinches, 7 Siskins, 10 Blackbirds, 2 Robins, 3 Dunnocks, one each of Blue and Coal Tit, 3 Long-tailed Tits (feeding on the fat block), an enormous female Sparrowhawk, 3 House Sparrows, 3 Collared Doves and a couple of Woodpigeons. Not a bad haul, but I would have preferred to have been out at Linacre ringing my first Chiffchaffs of the year. Next week perhaps?

As always, the results will all be entered into the BTO's Garden Birdwatch Scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment