Monday 25 February 2013

White-wingers!

Every year several so called "white-winged" gulls appear in the UK to spend the winter. Neither of the two species are particularly common, so when I got the opportunity to look for both I jumped at the chance. Both species, Iceland and Glaucous Gull, have been reported on Birdguides at the Fish Quay at North Shields in Newcastle, so whilst visiting my son and his girlfriend, I popped across to have a look.

I spent a couple of hours on site yesterday morning and managed to see both species, a 2nd winter Iceland Gull and a juvenile/1st winter Glaucous Gull.

Iceland Gull
 
Glaucous Gull
 
These species can be quite tricky to tell apart, but luckily the BTO have put together this short video to help.

Also seen on site were over a dozen Cormorants, several Shags, Eider Ducks (make and female), Black-headed, Great Black-backed, Herring and Common Gulls, a winter-plumaged Kittiwake (my first ever) and a Turnstone.

Kittiwake (note the dark smudge on the head)


Year List:
88 – Shag
89 – Eider Duck
90 – Turnstone
91 – Iceland Gull
92 – Glaucous Gull
93 – Kittiwake

No comments:

Post a Comment