Sunday 15 July 2012

Linacre news- at last!

Sorry that I haven't been blogging about Linacre much, but I did get down this morning, so there is something to blog about. I spent four hours with the Sorby Breck ringers this morning and managed to ring nineteen birds.

Out of the 19 birds I ringed 5; 2 Coal Tits (1 juvenile and 1 adult), 1 Dunnock, 1 Willow Tit and a Great Tit. Interestingly and quite worryingly, the young Coal Tit was the only young bird we caught today. Where are all the youngsters? We ringed nearly 150 Blue and Great Tits in the boxes at Linacre, so we were hoping to retrap some of these in the nets. Perhaps during the autumn/winter when there isn't so much natural food around and feeders become more important?

Other birds ringed today were Blue Tit, Chiffchaff (1), Nuthatch and Chaffinch.

There were a few insects around this morning including 4 species of butterfly: Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown and Ringlet.

Ringlet

This ladybird was also feeding on a teasel. I think it's a Harlequin, but I'm not sure.

Harlequin ladybird?



No comments:

Post a Comment