Sunday 22 April 2012

Birthday Birding

It being my birthday today I managed to get a lot of birding in. Many thanks Jayne!

First stop was Linacre where, in 2 hours, I recorded my first Greylag Geese for this site this year, with 2 on the top reservoir. They normally appear for a week or two in April, but so far, they've never stayed and bred. Perhaps this year?

Greylag Goose

4 Blackcaps were singing, as were 5 Chiffchaffs and just 1 Willow Warbler. Unfortunately, there was no sign of any Pied Flycatchers today. They do appear to be late this year. Finally, the Mistle Thrushes were feeding 3 big young in their nest. I managed to get some video footage through my 'scope, so I'll try and upload it to the site.

Next stop was RSPB Old Moor, where hundreds of Black-headed Gulls have begun nesting.

Black-headed Gulls at Old Moor


Other birds seen here included: Gadwall, Shoveler (1 male), Mallard, Mute Swan, Little Grebe, Avocet (1), Lapwing, Redshank, Cormorant, Tree Sparrow, Blue Tit, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.

The final site of the day was Burbage Moor, where I hoped to find a Ring Ouzel.

Burbage Moor

Unfortunately my luck had run out, but I did manage to see a couple of female Wheatear, Meadow Pipits, at least 4 singing Willow Warblers and an over-flying Raven. Very nice!

The Year List has moved on by 3 species today:

123 – Shoveler
124 - Avocet
125 - Wheatear

No comments:

Post a Comment