Wednesday 11 April 2012

5 out of 6 ain't bad!

RSPB South Stack on Anglesey, North Wales, is a wonderful clifftop reserve which has thousands of Guillemots, Razorbills and Puffins breeding every year. In addition, it also has a very special bird, the rarest member of the crow family, namely the Chough.

Lighthouse at South Stack, Anglesey


My family and I visited South Stack yesterday whilst staying in Llandudno. We managed to see 4 Choughs flying over the reserve and feeding in nearby fields. I got some shots, but they were all pretty awful due to the distance away and the wobbly 'scope.

Chough (note the red beak)

As well as the Choughs we also got superb views of several Ravens, Linnets, Goldfinch, Herring, Lesser Black-backed and Great Black-backed Gulls, but no auks at all!!Apparently the windy conditions of late had made go back out to sea. Hopefully they'll return when the weather settles down.

Raven (note the diamond shaped tail).

Jayne and Lydia spotted their first Swallow of the year, but I missed it as I was looking at the Choughs. Hopefully I'll catch up with a Swallow this week at Linacre.

As well as seeing Choughs and Ravens I also managed to see 3 other members of the crow or corvid family today, namely Jackdaw, Rook and Carrion Crow. The only one missing was a Jay!

The Year List moved on by 1 species:

116 - Chough

No comments:

Post a Comment