Saturday 2 April 2011

Linacre Reservoir - 2nd April 2011- Drained reservoirs, Grey Wagtail and Bluebells

As I mentioned in my previous post today was another excellent day's birding. After visiting Burbage Moor I had a drive down to Linacre to catch up on the developments with the draining of the top reservoir. Here are a couple of images of what it looked like this morning.




As you can see, the water levels are well below the norm, I estimate at least 10-15m below. Despite this there were still several birds present including a summer plumaged Cormorant, 6 Mandarin Duck, several Mallard, Coot, Moorhen and approximately 10 Tufted Duck. No waders yet though! As I walked around the middle reservoir I noticed this was being drained as well so photos of that next week.

No new summer migrants were seen or heard today, but I did manage to locate and photograph a singing Grey Wagtail around the middle reservoir. Here he is, complete with open beak!

Grey Wagtail

As well as the above birds I also noted the first few Bluebells of the year, just below the bottom car park, lots of newly-opened Wood Anemone and Celandine or Lesser Celandine and this lovely little plant which I can't name. Does anyone else know what it is? If so, please let me know.

Bluebells


Wood Anenome


(Lesser) Celandine

Any ideas?????


No comments:

Post a Comment