Sunday 17 April 2011

Barbrook Plantation - 17th April 2011

After my early morning visit to Linacre I popped up to Barbrook Plantation, a small area of woodland on the edge of moorland in the Peak District, and part of the RSPB's newly -established Eastern Moors Partnership. This is a regular spot for me in early spring to catch up with a few summer migrants and today's visit allowed me my first views of Tree Pipit. At least three individual birds were singing and displaying from the trees and I also managed to get a half decent shot of one against a beautiful blue sky.

Tree Pipit

Willow Warblers were in abundance here today with at least 6 singing and another sure sign of summer was a pair of Curlew "bubbling" in the background and 1 Skylark singing overhead. Resident birds seen were: Song Thrush (collecting food, another record for the Bird Atlas), Lesser Redpoll "buzzing" overhead, Chaffinch, Kestrel, Blackbird, Robin, Treecreeper, Meadow Pipit, Carrion Crow and Wren. 2 Canada Geese also flew overhead and landed in the stream by the bridge. I'll pop back later in the season to search for the ever-elusive Redstart and late-arriving Spotted Flycatcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment