Sunday 10 March 2024

Linacre WeBS - 9th March 2024

Ringing was cancelled yesterday morning, due to windy and rainy conditions, so instead, I popped down to Linacre to carry out this month's WeBS count.

The morning started well, when the female Mute Swan, 6Y24, was re-found, back on the middle reservoir. She seems to have settled in well, and came readily to seed, even pecking at the surrounding Mallards, to make sure she got her fair share!

Mute Swan

I carried on around all three reservoirs, and, despite the weather, there was an almost spring-like feel to the morning, with 2 pairs of Great-crested Grebes on site, both displaying. Other birds seen were: Mallard (69), Moorhen (10), Coot (7), Tufted Duck (17), Black-headed Gull (32) and Mandarin Duck (8). 

Black-headed Gull

Lots of the woodland species were singing, and I also spotted my first drumming Great-spotted Woodpeckers (2) of the year, my first Linacre Jay record, and a super Common Buzzard perched on the fence by the main entrance.

The big highlight of the morning, however, came just as I was leaving. I was walking along the middle reservoir, when I heard the sound of calling Whooper Swans. Looking up, an amazing 50 birds appeared, flying in low over my head! At first they looked like they might land, but instead they gained height and carried on along the valley. A few minutes later, however, 7 birds re-appeared and landed on the middle reservoir - fantastic!!!! This is my first record, actually on the reservoirs, and not just flying over, since 2016!




Whooper Swans

No comments:

Post a Comment