Friday 21 July 2023

Buzzard Breeding Success!

 Over the years, I've heard of several reports of  Common Buzzards breeding at Linacre. Although I have seen small groups of birds in late summer, which are presumably family parties, I have never managed to see a nest.... until today!

News of a nest with 2 well grown juveniles was shared with me from the volunteers who look after Linacre, so I popped up this morning to have a look. I could hear one bird as we approached the area, and then Jayne spotted 1 perched about 60ft (20m) up in a tree - success!! I managed to get a photo and then left it in peace.

Common Buzzard

Last Monday (17th), I had a quick walk around Linacre and spotted a few butterflies and moths: Ringlet (1), Small Skipper (4), Large White (1), Comma (3), Speckled Wood (1), Gatekeeper (1), Silver Y (1) and Large Skipper (1). 

Ringlet

Small Skipper

Other insects seen were: Volucella pellucens (4), Eristalis sp, Black and Yellow Longhorn Beetle, White-tailed/Red-tailed and Tree Bumblebee.

One Swallow, 2 House Martins and 2 adult Canada Geese were also seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment