Monday 29 August 2022

More Gull News

 On 16th August, I went to Rufford CP to renew my annual parking permit. Whilst there, I spotted two of "our" Black-headed Gulls: 258A and 293A (click on the labels for further details).

On the 19th August, I was out swan ringing at Rother Valley CP, when I spotted a white darvic-ringed Black-headed Gull. Annoyingly, I didn't have my camera with me, but I did have my binoculars and managed to read the ring, JMT9. I recognised it as a Norwegian-ringed bird, and sent off the details. Sure enough, the details came back as having been ringed in Oslo on 1st April 2020 and aged and sexed as an adult male bird. It had been recorded at Rother Valley before (on 31st January 2022), so we can presumably be pretty sure that this site is its favoured wintering site. I went back today, this time with my camera (!), and found it in exactly the same spot. 

JMT9

This year, it was reported back in Oslo on 16th March, so I'll pop back again throughout the winter and see how long it hangs around for, and try to get some photos of it as it regains its full brown hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment