Saturday 26 September 2020

Black-headed Gull 246A Returns

 It's been a couple of weeks since I was last down at Rufford, so I popped across this morning for a couple of hours. It was still quite quiet, with about 50 Black-headed Gulls present, along with a single juvenile/1st winter Lesser Black-backed Gull, and 6 Mute Swans.

As before, the the majority of gulls were young, unringed birds, but I did spot one wearing a ring, 246A. This is a bird that I ringed (my first ever), on 21st December 2019, at Center Parcs, about 2km away ( click on the label 246A for details). It was a 1st winter bird when ringed. I saw this bird twice last winter, once at Rufford on 19th February 2020, and then again at Clumber Park on 22nd February. 

246A - February 2020

246A - today

One of the Mute Swans present was also ringed. Its ring number W17328, shows it to be a 8 year old female, that was originally ringed, as a juvenile, in October 2012 in nearby Edwinstowe. It was my fifth sighting of this bird at Rufford since August 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment