Sunday 24 April 2016

5 eggs and..... 5 chicks

It's been exactly 2 weeks since I last blogged about the Starling nest in the box on the side of my house. Since then there have been a few developments, as the  title of today's blog suggests.

First up, is a picture taken on 12th April. As you can see, there were 5 eggs in the nest.

12th April - 5 eggs

When I saw the 5 eggs I knew it was time for incubation to begin, so I left the nest until today. I decided to check again this afternoon after I noticed one of the adult birds leaving the nest. I had a quick check and found this... 5 chicks!

24th April - 5 chicks

This year's birds have nested approximately a week earlier than they did in 2015, with the chicks hatching on 30th April (see blog posts entitled Starling Nest 2015 for details), so, if all goes well, and the chicks prosper, they should be ready to fledge in about 3 weeks time ( 15th May).

I'll enter the new details into the BTO's Nestbox Challenge website, and, as in the previous 2 years, I'll ring the chicks before they fledge so that we can hopefully see where they end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment