Monday 3 August 2015

Small Red-eyed Damselfly

Small Red-eyed Damselfly is a species that was first recorded the UK in 1999, and, as far as I know, hasn't been recorded in Derbyshire yet (see the British Dragonfly Society's website here for more details about this species). I'd heard that the National Trust's Felbrigg Hall estate had a colony, so whilst visiting there I had a look for them. I couldn't find any on the main lake, but I did manage to find 3 males on the Lily pads  in the Walled Garden.

Small Red-eyed Damselfly (male)

 As well as the adults, Jayne spotted this young dragonlfy, which looks like one that has just emerged and has yet to "dry out". As you can see, it has yet to attain the colours of a full adult.

Small Red-eyed Damselfly (newly emerged)

No comments:

Post a Comment