Saturday 8 November 2014

Linacre Little Owl

No ringing this morning due to wet weather, so I popped down to Linacre to fill up the feeders. On the way out I checked the "Little Owl tree" and spotted this beauty sitting there.

Little Owl
 
I drove home to get my camera, and Jayne, and we rushed back to find the bird still there. While Jayne drove, I managed to get a few more photos, but it was only when I get home again, and put the photos on the computer, that I noticed the bird was ringed!!

Little Owl (with ring)
 
The only Little Owls to have been ringed at Linacre were two that were ringed back in 2013 by me and other members of the Sorby Breck Ringing Group.  The first bird we ringed was an adult female (see here). Unfortunately I couldn't read the ring number today, so I can't be 100% sure that it is the same bird, but I think it's highly likely, as she was sitting in the same tree as before, and, according to the books, breeding birds stay on site throughout the year.
 
The second bird we ringed in 2013 was a juvenile bird (here). Juvenile birds are normally driven off by the parent birds once they've fledged, so I think it unlikely that this is the juvenile bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment