Sunday 18 May 2014

May WeBS and a new butterfly species

Yesterday 3 members of the Chesterfield RSPB Group carried out the monthly WeBS walk around Linacre (thanks you 3).

As always, the May walk can be quite quiet, but yesterday's outing was livened up by the first broods of Mandarin Duck; 3 broods of 4, 5 and 6. Along with 9 adult birds that brought the total to 24. 35 adult Mallards were also seen with ducklings (2, 3, 5 and 7). The Coots, 11 adults, had 4 broods of 2, 3, 4, and 6, and the Great -crested Grebes on the middle reservoir had 3 young! Adult Moorhens were seen, but no young yet. 2 Grey Wagtails were the last water birds reported this month.

The usual woodland birds were reported in the woods, along with 3 Swallows, and singing Blackcaps, Chiffchaff and Willow Warblers.

Before the WeBS walk and the nest box checking I had a walk down to the ringing site to fill the feeders. Whilst there, I also had a walk around in search of insects. The first ones I saw were a Peacock and a Small Tortoiseshell.  Just as I walking back I noticed a small, brown butterfly flying low over the ground. I watched as it landed and crept up to get a better view and a photo. As I got closer I noticed that it was a DINGY SKIPPER!!!

Dingy Skipper

Not only is this a new species for me and Linacre (unless anyone else has seen one before?), but it is also a pretty uncommon species within Derbyshire. As such it is included in Derbyshire's Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) . I've sent the record to the butterfly recorder for Derbyshire, so I'll update on any further developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment