Monday 7 April 2014

More Linacre nests

Hot on the heels of the Tawny Owl nesting record on Saturday, I decided to go back down to Linacre yesterday morning for a couple of hours to see what, if anything, else was breeding.

As I walked around all 3 reservoirs I counted a total of 9 singing Chiffchaffs, but unfortunately, no further summer migrants. The Great-crested Grebes on the middle reservoir were still sitting on their nest, and a second pair was nest building on the top reservoir. My final nest of the morning was a Coot that was "sitting" in willows on the top reservoir. I had a quick check of a few of the tit boxes, but they were all empty. I'll check them again next week.

Other interesting sightings included a singing Curlew in fields above the top reservoir (first Linacre record of 2014), a single Hare in the woods by the picnic benches, a brief fly-over Crossbill, and a calling Toad from the boardwalk. 2 Grey Herons also flew over the site, and a breeding plumaged Cormorant was sat in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment