Tuesday 4 March 2014

Ringing Demo and a new species

On Sunday I spent 5 hours carrying out a ringing demo with the Group at Blackburn Meadows in Sheffield. As well as being a very enjoyable time I was also lucky enough to ring a new species of bird - a Snipe. This is my first wader and a beautiful bird to see "in the hand". Here's a photo of one we ringed  a few weeks ago at Blackburn, as Sunday's photos didn't come out too well.

Snipe
 
As well as the Snipe we also had a very good morning with a steady run of birds from every net round, 48 in total. My personal totals were (new/retrap):
Robin 0/1, Reed Bunting 0/2, Bullfinch 1/0, Blue Tit 1/2, Great Tit 1/0, Long-tailed Tit 0/2 and Greenfinch 3/0.

In between net rounds I spotted a Lesser Black-backed Gull flying over, a "year tick".

Later in the afternoon I went into Sheffield and saw a Peregrine Falcon sat on the breeding ledge on St George's Church- another "year tick". Here's a link to the website, which shows live footage from the nest.

Year List update:
111- Lesser Black-backed Gull
112 - Peregrine Falcon

No comments:

Post a Comment