Friday 30 December 2011

Linacre - 30th December 2011 - two Year Ticks

Today I went down to for a last walk before the end of the year and I'm glad I did because I got two year ticks and refound the Goldeneye.

The first year tick was a Kestrel, which was found perched on the top of a bush by the top reservoir. This bird is sometimes seen flying over the reservoirs and hunting in the surrounding fields, but this sighting is my first here this year. Last year a nest box designed specifically for Kestrels was put up on site, but it hasn't been used yet. Fingers crossed for 2012.

The second year tick was a Raven, which was heard "croaking" as it flew over the site. Unfortuntaely I was in the woods at the time, so I didn't see it. Again, just like the Kestrel, Raven is only recorded once or twice a year at Linacre, so today's sighting was very welcome.

As well as these two birds I also managed to refind the immature male Goldeneye on the midle reservoir. When I got home another bird, an immature female, had also been recorded, so two birds is a brilliant record.

Last but not least, today's walk also produce an amazing 145 Mallard - the year's highest count, 7 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 31 Black-headed Gulls, 1 Pied Wagtail, 1 Great-crested Grebe, 25 Mandarin and 1 Grey Heron. Superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment