Saturday 21 May 2011

Bird Atlas Walk - 21st May 2011

I popped out for a few hours this morning to carry out the 3rd walk for my Bird Atlas square, which is in Ashgate, Chesterfield. This was the first walk for this year's breeding season and the weather was perfect with nice sunshine and clear skies. 32 species of birds were seen including 7 new species for this square (Linnet, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Swallow, House Martin, Feral Pigeon and Chiffchaff).
As usual, one of the best parts of doing these surveys is the lovely countryside that I get to walk through, so here is a photo of one of the footpaths I walked down this morning.


Being quite late on in the breding season I was able to confirm breeding for some species with Jackdaw, Blackbird, Robin, Blue Tit and Magpie all seen carrying food. As well as this I also found recently fledged Great Tits and a family party of Long-tailed Tits. House Sparrows were "chirruping" from the eaves of several houses, both House Martins and Swallows were in potential breeding habitat and there was no sign of breeding Starlings this time, so there's still lots of good reasons me to come back for my next and final visit in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment