Sunday 27 March 2011

Linacre Year Tick x 2 - 27th March 2011

Walking around Linacre this morning one of the first birds I heard was a Tawny Owl, twitting from the woods (the first year tick).The Chiffchaffs were in good voice with 7 different birds noted and Great -spotted Woodpeckers were drumming, with at least 4 individuals seen and heard. The Common Buzzards (2), were feeding by the main entrance again and the usual woodland species were singing all around the reservoirs. On arrival at the top reservoir the second year tick of the morning put in an appearance when 2 Canada Geese (including a hybrid bird that's been seen every spring for the last 5 years)  were spotted swimming around. Some years these birds stay on and breed on the raft here, other times they don't. Let's wait and seen what happens this year.

Hybrid goose- any guesses anyone?

In addition to the Canada Geese I also noticed that the water level in the top reservoir had fallen by about 3 metres. This is part of essential maintenance work that is to be carried out later this spring. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera with me this morning, so I haven't got any photos to show you what it looks like, but I will try and get some next time I'm down there. Hopefully it won't have a too detrimental effect on the breeding season and who knows perhaps the exposed mud might attract a passing wader or two? Keep watching to find out! 

Other waterbirds present today: Mallard (46), Tufted Duck (23), Mandarin (7), Coot (16), Moorhen (13), Great-crested Grebe (2 pairs), Little Grebe (heard).

Also noted this lovely little flower, which is Wood Sorrel I think.


Also saw this, which again I think is Dog Violet.


No comments:

Post a Comment