Wednesday 28 February 2024

Linacre Mega!!

 Yesterday (27th), I received a message from the volunteer rangers letting me know that there was a swan species on the middle reservoirs. Unfortunately, the bird was too distant to identify accurately, other than to say that it was a young bird, with grey feathers and a grey beak.

I managed to get down after work, and, luckily for me, the bird had moved much closer to the dam wall, allowing me to see that it was a juvenile (born last year) Mute Swan. This record is the first of this species since 2013!!!

Mute Swan 

The bird came closer still, with the help of some seed, and I noticed that it was ringed, with a yellow darvic ring, used by Sorby Breck Ringing Group! After many shots, I got a photo of the ring, 6Y24.

6Y24

After a little investigation, I found out that the bird, had been ringed at Frecheville, Sheffield, in August 2023. Hopefully, she'll continue to spend some time at Linacre.

Whilst on site, I also spotted 3 Goosander (1 male and 2 females), 6 Teal (4 males and 2 females), a pair of displaying Great-crested Grebe and 13 Mandarin Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment