Saturday 7 October 2023

Rufford Gulls - 7th October 2023

 In a couple of hours at Rufford this afternoon ( in 21 degree heat!!) I had my highest number of Black-headed Gulls this season - with 62 present.

2 ringed birds were present: 293A and 254B. Today's sighting of 293A was my 22nd at Rufford, and it looks like it's settled in for another winter.

293A

254B was a nice surprise, as it was only the second record, since ringing (by me!) in October 2022, and my first since February 2023 (see here). I wonder where it's been over the summer.

254B

As well as the gulls, I also saw c.38 Canada Geese, 30 Greylag Geese, 1 Cormorant, 1 Grey Wagtail and 1 Buzzard.

As the temperature was so high, there were quite a few wasps flying around. I also spotted 1 Red Admiral, 1 Hornet, and, best of all, a male Willow Emerald Damselfly!!! This is my first site record, and very unexpected - great sight!

Willow Emerald Damselfly

Finally, whilst driving down to Rufford, I saw a Swallow flying around Marsh Lane - quite a late record.

No comments:

Post a Comment