Thursday 14 September 2023

Spotted Crake - 10th September 2023

 At the weekend, I decided to  go down to Ogston Reservoir to see a juvenile Spotted Crake (species number 184) that had been present for a few days. The bird was showing from the Members' Hide, so, after re-joining the club, I settled down to see this bird (my first since 2013!!). 

Thankfully, before I'd even sat down, it appeared out of the reedbed, and began to feed about 10m away. As I sat, it got closer and closer, until it was about 2m away, and then stayed out for about 1 1/4 hours! My best ever views of this fantastic little bird, and well worth the annual membership fee.



Spotted Crake

Whilst there, I also managed to add another two species to the "Year List", namely Greenshank (2 present and my 185th species of the year) and Osprey ( a juvenile female that had also been present for the best part of a week and my 186th species of the year).

No comments:

Post a Comment