Sunday 21 May 2023

Linacre WeBS - 21st May 2023

 This weekend was WeBS weekend, so I had a walk around this morning. The following birds were counted: Mallard (49 adults and just 2 ducklings), Tufted Duck (21), Mandarin Duck (22; 20 males and 2 females, no ducklings), Moorhen (4, no young), Coot (11 adults and 1 young - my first of the year), Little Grebe (5 adults; 4 on the middle reservoir and 1 on the top reservoir - no young yet), Great-crested Grebe (5; all adults, no chick seen today), Canada Goose (1) and Grey Wagtail (1 on the bottom reservoir).

Whilst on site, I also checked up on the nestboxes. Unfortunately, several had been predated, including two of the Pied Flycatcher nests. Thankfully, the third nest was still intact. Fingers crossed it survives.

The sun was out whilst I was there and I managed to see a couple of insects, a Green-veined White and my first damselfly of the year, a Common Blue on the ringing site.

Green-veined White

Common Blue Damselfly

No comments:

Post a Comment