Friday 14 April 2023

Linacre - 14th April 2023

I was down at Linacre this morning from 7am - 11am taking a first check of the year nestboxes (thanks to Antony and Pete for your support!)

As always, I was a little early, with just one box showing any sign of nesting activity; Owl Box 2, which had 6 cold, uncovered eggs (most likely Mandarin Duck). It did, however, give me time to put back on lids that had fallen off and have a walk around the reservoirs.

Whilst walking around, there were frequent drizzly showers, and I was lucky enough to see a flock of c.30 Swallows, 3 Sand Martins and 1 House Martin, feeding over the top reservoir. These were my first Linacre records of 2023. Other species seen and/or heard were: 6 Chiffchaffs, 2 Willow Warblers, 3 Blackcaps, 1 Raven, 1 Tawny Owl, 4 Great-crested Grebes, 2 Little Grebes, my first Moorhen nest (bird sitting), 1 singing Mistle Thrush, 2 singing Song Thrushes, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, a pair of Greylag Geese that flew east along the valley, and 3 Canada Geese (1 pair and another individual).

If all this birdlife wasn't enough, I also found 3 roosting Brown Long-eared Bats in one of the boxes and spotted 2 Brown Hares and a very impressive adult Grass Snake. (thanks Antony and Pete)!!!

Brown Long-eared Bats

Grass Snake

No comments:

Post a Comment