Sunday 2 June 2019

Linacre Insects - 1st June 2019

It was 20 degrees yesterday afternoon, so I went down to Linacre to have my first proper look for insects. I'm very glad I did, as I ended up recording 4 species I'd not seen before!

The first "new" species was a micro moth, Endothenia sp. Unfortunately, this moth can't be identified to species level without dissection (!), so it will have to remain just Endothenia sp!

Endothenia sp.

The second species was a macro moth, Brown Silver-line, which was seen in the ringing site.

Brown Silver-line

The 3rd species is a beetle with the great name of Swollen-thighed Beetle! You can see how it gets its name in this photo.

Swollen-thighed Beetle

The 4th and final new species was a Blue Lacewing.

Blue lacewing

Other species seen included; Red-tailed Bumblebee, Common Blue Butterfly (1 female), Comma (1), Cinnabar Moth (4+), Orange Tip (1 male), Silver Ground Carpet, Common Green Shieldbug, Common Blue Damselfly, Red and Black Froghopper, Harlequin and Black and Yellow Longhorn Beetle.

No comments:

Post a Comment