Sunday 28 August 2016

Liancre - Two new Insects

Last week whilst walking around Linacre in the sunshine, I took some photos of a couple of insects that I couldn't identify at the time. I put them on Twitter, and managed to get a positive i.d. for one species, and the family name for another.

The first species, was a type of Solitary Bee called Nomada goodeniana. This bee is a kleptoparasitic species that lays its eggs in the nest of other bees, mainly Andrena (Mining Bees) species. Interestingly, I've never recorded any Andrena bees at Linacre, so they're probably out there somewhere too! Its flight period is usually up to June, so this record is quite late. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures.


Nomada goodeniana

The second species was a type of Sawfly (Tenthredo spp). Unfortunately, we weren't able to identify it to species level. Here are a couple of photos if anyone knows the species.


Tenthredo spp

Along with these 2 species, I also had my first record of Helophilus pendulus on the 23rd August. This is a common hoverfly species at Linacre, but, for some reason, its the first one I've seen this year.

Helophilus pendulus

No comments:

Post a Comment