Saturday 14 May 2016

Coal Aston Nestbox- First chicks

I popped across to the farm in Coal Aston after school on Thursday to check on the progress of the nest boxes there. Last time I visited in April (see here), there were 3 out of 5 boxes with active nests in them. Tonight's visit showed that these 3 were still active, with eggs in 1 and day old chicks in the other two boxes.

The box with the eggs looks like it may have been abandoned, as there were cold and uncovered. The chicks, however, all looked very healthy, so I'm keeping everything crossed for some nice, warm settled weather over the nest few weeks to allow both broods to grow and prosper. It's hard to say which species the birds are when they are so young, blind and naked, but my best guess is Blue Tit. Time will tell if I'm right or not!

Details of all 3 nests will be forwarded to the BTO's Nest Record Scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment