Wednesday 4 November 2015

Linacre - New Species!!

I was just checking the recent bird sightings on the Sheffield Bird Study Group's website (see here), when I spotted a mention of Linacre Reservoirs. Nothing too unusual here, as there are regular updates on the website, but what really caught my eye was the mention of a species that I've never recorded at Linacre since I started visiting regularly back in 2006 - namely Shoveler.

As I said, this isn't a species I've ever seen at Linacre, so the record of 2 birds seen today was really good. Hopefully, they'll hang around for a while and I'll be able to catch up with them. Until then, here's a picture of one I took  a few years ago at a site in Nottinghamshire.

Shoveler

As well as this record, there were also 62 Tufted Ducks (highest count this year), 50 Mandarin Ducks (also the highest count of 2015), a "redhead" Goosander, 2 Kingfishers, 1 Little Grebe and 2 Great crested Grebes.

No comments:

Post a Comment