Friday 23 March 2012

Starlings' nest.

Throughout the winter we've had two Starlings roosting in the "Starling box" that I put up on the side of the house a few years ago.

Starling box complete with Great Tit in 2010

I've been keeping everything crossed and this evening my patience seems to have paid off as I spotted an adult bird with a beak full of nesting material sitting on the rooftop. I didn't see the bird go in, but I'll definately be keeping my eye on him (it would have been the male as they build the nest and the female lines it) over the next week or two.

Here are two pictures of the Great Tits that were raised in this box 2 years ago. The first was taken on 18th May 2010 and the second was taken just 18 days later. Amazing.


Great Tit chicks


The same brood, 18 days later!

Hopefully I'll be able to bring you some similar photos of the Starling chicks this year and also complete a card for the BTO's Nest Record Scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment