Saturday 18 June 2011

RSPB Farm Walk - 18th June 2011

This morning I carried out my third and final walk as part of  the RSPB's Volunteer and Farmer Alliance programme at the farm in Blyth, Nottinghamshire.The weather stayed dry, the poppies looked amazing and several new species were added to the list including evidence of breeding for the BTO's Bird Atlas.

Poppies

First up this morning were singing Chaffinch and a family party of Blue Tit. Walking around through the waist-high grass I also found several Whitethroat, which were alarm calling and probably had nests nearby. A pair of Reed Buntings was a new bird for this site, but the highlight of the morning,was the 3 Yellow Wagtails, which included one male complete with a beak full of food -  evidence of breeding!! Here's an awful shot of him perched up on a tree.

Yellow Wagtail

The Skylarks were still in good voice and on the way back at the end of the walk I was lucky enough to come across this beautiful young Roe Deer who had got split up from his mum and brother/sister, who were standing some distance away in the woods. I stood still on the path and he/she walked straight towards me until he was just 5m away!! I managed to get a decent shot before he realised I wasn't mum and hopped off into the woods!

Roe Deer



No comments:

Post a Comment