Thursday 30 December 2010

Iceland Gull in Preston- 30th December 2010

Ever since I began subscribing  to the Birdguides website about 5 years ago my knowledge of rarer birds in Britain has increased greatly. Although I don't consider my self a full blown twitcher, I do sometimes like to travel around looking at particular birds. So it was then that I set off for Preston, Lancashire this morning to see if I could catch up with a lovely juvenile Iceland Gull that has been seen in the Docklands area of the city.
 After a very uneventful 2 hour trip across the Pennines I arrived at Preston Docks at approximately 8.30am. 4 local birders were already present on site and they very kindly put me straight onto the bird.It was sat on the ice about 20m out showing very well.

Iceland Gull

As you can see on the photo, the white primary feathers are very noticeable on this juvenile bird, hence the description as a "white-winged gull". A very nice bird and a great way to end my birding year.

No comments:

Post a Comment