Sunday, 16 August 2026

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 4th Lifer of the Year!

 Yesterday, I was dropping Jayne off for our daughter's "hen do" in York, so I decided to drive on to Scaling Dam Reservoir on the North Yorkshire/Cleveland border to "twitch" my fourth lifer of the year: Buff-breasted Sandpiper (180th bird of the year and my 524th species worldwide).

To say that the bird was "distant" is to put it politely, but I did manage to get  a few 'scope views, as it fed, on the far side of the reservoir from the bird hide. Here are a couple of very, very heavily cropped photos! This is what one should look like!

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (with a Little Ringed Plover)

Buff-breasted Sandpiper!

Also present on site were: Greylag, Canada and a single (feral) Barnacle GooseDunlin, Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover and 2 Greenshank; Black-headed, Herring and Common Gulls and Pied Wagtails.

No comments:

Post a Comment