Thursday 15 July 2021

Shaded Broad-bar and Tawny Owl

 I popped down to Linacre this afternoon to fill the feeders for a ringing session. It was 24 degrees when I arrived at 3.45pm and very sunny. As I walked down to the feeders, I spotted my first Cinnabar moth caterpillars, along with two Shaded Broad-bar moths, Soldier beetles, Swollen-thighed beetles, a male Blue-tailed Damselfly, several Common Blue Damselflies and a single Black and Yellow Longhorn Beetle.

Shaded Broad-bar

When I got to the feeding station I  spotted something perched low on one of the trees. I couldn't quite tell what it was, as it was preening and had its face down. Luckily, it hadn't seen me, so, as it looked up, I managed to get this photo and saw that it was a juvenile Tawny Owl - lovely and a great breeding record!

Tawny Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment