After a few weeks of exciting rarities I was back at Rufford yesterday afternoon for a quieter, but very enjoyable, gull-filled session. I only saw 5 of "our" Black-headed Gulls, but 2 were quite notable!
The birds seen were: 207F,(my first sighting since 3rd January 2026, and only my 7th sighting since ringing in October 2024), 207C (my 4th sighting this season), 258A (my third sighting this season), 251B (ringed by me in October 2022, as a juvenile/1st winter bird and last seen in March 2025) and 225H (my 3rd sighting this season).
207F
251B
Other birds seen were: 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 2 Grey Wagtail, c.50 Canada Geese, 8 Mute Swans, including Broken Beak, his partner and 2 cygnets, along with Crinkle Neck and 3 other adults and, best of all, a juvenile male Kingfisher, that was fishing in the river, by the ford.
Broken Beak and family
Kingfisher
It was 20 degrees and sunny, whilst I was there, and I also saw a Red Admiral and 2 Willow Emerald Damselflies, including this male.
Willow Emerald Damselfly

No comments:
Post a Comment