Wednesday 7 April 2021

Linacre Lifer - Orange Underwing!!

 The weather was a very pleasant 15 degrees and sunny on Easter Sunday afternoon, so I decided to go down to Linacre for a couple of hours to see if there were any butterflies flying about.

I started off by walking down from the car park along the edge of the farmer's field where I spotted my first Linacre butterflies of the year: 2 Small Tortoiseshells and a Peacock. Whilst walking, a small day-flying moth literally dropped down onto the path in front of me. I grabbed a few photos, and realised that it was an Orange Underwing, a lifer and a new record for Linacre!! Here's a link to this new moth species.

Orange Underwing

Whilst on site I also managed to see many Dark-edged Bee Flies (c.10 - 15), along with  a Tawny Mining Bee (1 female), 1 Common Carder Bee, 1 Garden Bumblebee, Clarkson's Mining Bees and an Early Mining Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment