Sunday 18 January 2015

500th Post - a spot of ringing and year ticking

Last night we had a bit of a surprise when it started to snow. Luckily, it didn't snow for too long, but there was still a covering on the roads and fields when we set off this morning to do some garden ringing at one of our sites in Wingerworth, Chesterfield. As always, we had a very busy few hours ringing a total of 111 birds of 10 different species; Blackbird, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Nuthatch, Bullfinch, Dunnock, Robin, Blue, Great and Coal Tit.

My personal totals were new/retrap:
Great Tit 7/2, Blue Tit 8/4, Coal Tit 1/0, Blackbird 2/1, Robin 1/1, Bullfinch 1/0, Dunnock 3/0.

As well as the ringing, we also spotted a few other species, including a "year tick" in the form of a calling Tawny Owl that lives in the surrounding area, and sometimes breeds in the nestbox.

Year List update:

60 - Tawny Owl

According to my blog account, this post is the 500th I've written since I started back in December 2010. Many thanks if you've stayed with me this long, and if you've just joined me, hopefully you like what you see, and will stay a while longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment